Monday, August 8, 2011

back to school quote banner {tutorial}

I am my kids are really excited for school to start, so we decided to make a count-down to the first day of school. I wanted it to be more than a chain, so I came up with a back-to-school banner with a quote behind each letter. Quotes that fit what I felt my kids need to hear before starting in a new grade at a new school. Each day we'll turn a letter over and read the quote on the inside, and be one day closer to backpacks and recess!
 

I am proud to say that I limited myself to only supplies I had on hand (which you know are extremely limited right now!).  It was fun to 1. challenge myself, and 2. keep it simple. At least simpler than I would if I had gone to the scrapbook store first! For me, simpler = cheaper.

Each of the 12 days before school we'll turn over another letter. On the inside is a quote, and the front side of the card can be flipped over to reveal it. Then the quote will replace each day's letter so we can read them over and over again.
 

I've included close-ups of each letter, as well as each quote, to get you started.

I tried to include lots of Dr. Seuss and other fun quotes, and I emphasized both academic points and behavioral points that I want my  kids to work on this year. Yes, one of the quotes is missing, but I'm not at home and can't re-photograph it! I'll have to update it later this week. (Click on each picture to see bigger.)





Each letter card is made from a half-sheet of card stock, 4.25" x 11". I covered the front with patterned paper, and glued the quote on the inside. I cut the letters using my Silhouette (fonts are Pharmacy and American Typewriter Bold). I backed some of them with 3" circles in cream card stock to help them stand out from the busy background. I also topped each with a piece of coordinating solid card stock to match the letters Then I embellished with ribbon, buttons, and punch outs--basically whatever I had on hand (which wasn't much!).

 




The cards can hang easily on a piece of yarn or string. I clipped each in place with a mini clothes pin, just because I thought it looked cute, not because they wouldn't stay on the string! (So much for simpler.) 
 

This would be fun to hang in a classroom as well, and read the quotes to the kids on the first couple of weeks of school. I have this hanging in my kitchen and every single day my boys ask if it's time to start the countdown. They can't wait for school to start (and neither can I--more crafting time is about to open up!).

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
11 Comments

11 Responses to “back to school quote banner {tutorial}”

Sewandthecity said...

What a lovley idea!

Louley's Belles said...

That idea is too cute!!

Windie said...

what a fun idea! so what is the font used on the quotes? does it print out the lines as well or did you do that separately??

Kayleen said...

So dang cute! I can't stand your creativity so far away from me.

Mercedes said...

I love it. I think I will change it up a bit and use it to make a banner for my daughters birthday.

Anonymous said...

So cute!!! I'm thinking in addition to quotes, it'd be fun to do an activity each day to prep for the school year, such as buy school supplies, write a letter to your teacher, etc.

I will be linking!

Createology said...

Your banner is fabulous. I love the idea of writing personal notes or quotes or inspirational words. Sunshine Summer Smiles...

Amy M. said...

How did you do the adorable ruled quotes on the inside? Do you happen to have any PDFs we could borrow? i just love how they look!!!

-Amy
Crafting by Candlelight

LeAnne Ballard said...

Darling idea!

Boo said...

Love this. I am doing a Back to school bunko and this will be perfect for decor and Prize!! And for sure make one for my kids too. =) I have this font and it does put the lines. I got it free from Dafont.com. It's called school script Dashed. =)

Simple Stitches AZ ~ Rachelle S. said...

I LOVE this! Such a cute idea!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs